Education required: Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program
Experience required: Over three years of work experience in the trade is usually required to be eligible for trade certification.
Brief job responsibilities:
- Read specifications to determine quantities of materials required
- Prepare and clean surfaces using methods such as scraping, sanding, sandblasting, hydro-blasting and steam-cleaning; remove old wallpaper and loose paint; repair cracks and holes in walls; and sandpaper and apply sealer
- Mix and thin paint to obtain desired colour and texture
- Apply paint or other materials, such as stains, lacquer, enamel, oil, varnish, fibreglass, metal coating or fire retardant using brushes, rollers or spray equipment
- Measure, cut and apply wallpaper or fabric to walls
- Assemble and erect scaffolding and swing stages
- Advise customer on selection of colour schemes and choice of wall coverings
- May provide cost estimates to clients.